Thursday, February 9, 2012

Facing the Sun or the Shade?



When I was a child, I tried to chase my shade that comes from direct sunlight. The faster I chase my shade, the faster it goes before me. Chasing one's own shade just leaves me tiredness without having success. When I grew up, I know how to catch up my own shade: I just face the sun and keep walking. Then, I don't need to chase my shade as it just follows me. It comes after me wherever I go. 

Jesus teaches us how to chase our needs at Matthew 6:33, "But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." He teaches us to chase God's reign that is God's way of life revealed in Christ and his righteousness, then, all our needs will be given but not vice versa. In other words, he teaches us to face the sun and keep walking, then, the shade will follow us. 

Many times, I am so childish as I still try to chase my shade rather than walking towards the sun. “Lord help me to walk toward you through your way first rather than chasing my needs and wants.”

by Sanno


No comments: